6 Ways to Prevent Pantry Pests
Far too many people have experienced the horror of digging through their pantries only to discover a pantry pest infestation! With the holiday baking season upon us, now is the time to inspect your kitchen shelves for signs of pantry pests. These stored product pests infest flour, cake mixes, grains, sugar, and more, and it’s easy for them to do so when you don’t store your dry goods properly. To learn how to prevent pantry pest infestations, keep reading for expert tips from Western Exterminator of Las Vegas!
Pantry Pests 101
Beetles, ants, earwigs, and silverfish are just some of the many pests known as pantry pests. The most common types of pantry pests are the Indianmeal moth and the confused flour beetle. These items they will infest include flour, sugar, cake mixes, open cereal boxes, powdered milk, and more! Some of the many insects will look for food sources around which they can build nests and mate. All four stages of development of the insect may be noticed, from their egg to the adult stage.
How to Prevent Pantry Pests
To avoid dealing with the gross sight of pantry pests, it’s important to know how to prevent them from infesting your home in the first place. Six ways you can keep pantry pests out include:
- Securely store dry goods. To keep pests out, always store food and baking ingredients in airtight containers.
- Properly store seasonal items. Dried foliage, Indian corn, and other seasonal items should be kept in sealed containers while not in use throughout the year.
- Place bay leaves in containers. Sticking a bay leaf inside canisters of dry goods like flour, rice, and other grains. May help to repel pests.
- Inspect your groceries. At the grocery store and before bringing them indoors, check your purchased goods for any signs of damage or use.
- Check the date. Before you use your ingredients from a year or two ago, make sure to check the expiration date and toss any expired items.
- Keep a clean kitchen. Always wipe up spills or messes to avoid attracting pests, and clean out your pantry regularly.
Pantry Pest Control & Removal
If you’ve done all you can to prevent pantry pests and still end up with an infestation, it’s important to act fast. Toss any infested items in a secure trash can outdoors, and thoroughly clean out your shelves. If you’re still dealing with pests, it’s recommended to call an expert pantry pest exterminator such as Western Exterminator of Las Vegas.
6 Ways to Prevent Pantry Pests in Las Vegas - Henderson Nevada
SERVING CUSTOMERS IN THE LAS VEGAS AND HENDERSON AREAS