Why Ants Are Attracted To Homes
Ants do not only live in colonies outside–they commonly find themselves attracted to human habitations, becoming an unsightly problem. Ants find themselves attracted to the same things in human habitations that humans need—possibly even electronics, in the case of Rasberry (or Tawny) Crazy Ants. Knowledge of these ants and what brings them into a home is the first step in eliminating them effectively.
Causes of Ant Infestations
There are many reasons why ants may be attracted to your home. Some of the main ant attractants include:
- Moisture: All species of ant are attracted to water, particularly in warm months.
- If ants find runoff from a dripping sink or leaky pipe, they will return to it continuously.
- Food: The diet of the ant depends on the species, but sugar and protein are the two main foods of ants.
- Poorly-cleaned kitchens, readily-accessible garbage, and both human and animal food left out are all prime target for ants.
- While some ants may prefer leftovers in the sink and others may prefer sugars from overripe fruit on the counter, their presence is unwanted.
- Shelter: If ants have invaded a home, chances are the surrounding environment has suited their needs.
- Most ants that have infested habitations live inside of walls, though some live inside of rotting wood fixtures or cracked foundation. Some continue to nest outside and enter the home in search of food and water to bring back to their nest.
- Depending on the species, the invading ants may actually be part of a much larger colony, or several nests with related queens that have spread out.
Preventing Ants in the Home
An ant infestation is unpleasant to deal with, but with time and effort it can be controlled. With knowledge of what ants’ desire inside of a home comes the knowledge of how best to deny them food, water, and shelter. Taking these steps, along with contacting a licensed professional such as those at Western Exterminator of Las Vegas, will help any homeowner get rid of ants safely and keep them from returning.
Need Help with Ant Control & Extermination?
Call us at (702)385-1269
or click the button, and we’ll call you back in minutes!
Western Exterminator of Las Vegas – Trusted Ant Extermination Experts Since 1996
See What It’s like to Be a Western Exterminator of Las Vegas Customer!!
Why You Have Ants In Your Home in Las Vegas - Henderson Nevada
SERVING CUSTOMERS IN THE LAS VEGAS AND HENDERSON AREAS