Do Sugar Ants Bite?
Odorous house ants can quickly become a big problem for any Las Vegas homeowner. Due to their preference for food with a high sugar and protein content, this species is most commonly referred to as sugar ants. These house ants do not bite or sting people nor do they pose any serious health risks to humans or pets. Their danger lies in the fact that sugar ant populations can grow out of proportion and are notorious for being difficult to control.
Sugar Ant Identification
Sugar ants are either black or brown in color, grow to no more than ⅛ inch in length, and, true to their other name, emit a strong odor when smashed. They have a segmented waist and lack the apparent node or bump on their body that many other ants possess. Odorous house ants do not have a stinger, further proving that they are not capable of hurting humans. Sugar ant colonies tend to be quite large and often involve multiple nests, which is why it can take some time to completely eliminate them from a home.
What Attracts Odorous House Ants?
It can be extremely frustrating for any homeowner to realize they have an ant infestation, so understanding why they’ve invaded your home is of the essence.
- While sugar ants are attracted to sweets and a variety of sugary foods, they also consume fats, proteins, and plant pollen.
- Odorous house ants have up to five times more odor receptors than other insects, meaning they’re likely tempted by the smells of food in your home.
- Ants are always searching for food, which is why they’re commonly in your kitchen feasting on crumbs, unsealed food, fruit, garbage, and more.
Preventing Sugar Ants in Your Las Vegas Home
As with many pests, prevention is the best form of sugar ant control. While staying vigilant about properly storing your food will certainly work to help keep ants away, you can take it one step further by limiting the ways in which ants can make their way inside your home. To keep ants out of your Las Vegas property, you should instill the following preventative measures outside your home:
- Remove piles of lumber or bricks outside that may serve as a nesting site.
- Locate and seal any and all cracks in the exterior of your property.
- Keep your landscaped yard tidy by trimming back trees and shrubs so they do not reach your home.
- Make sure garbage cans both inside and outside of the home are properly sealed.
Professional Sugar Ant Removal
Sugar ants can be quite tricky to get rid of and almost always require professional help. At Western Exterminator, we are dedicated to helping our customers stay ant-free year-round; give us a call today!
Do Sugar Ants Bite? in Las Vegas - Henderson Nevada
SERVING CUSTOMERS IN THE LAS VEGAS AND HENDERSON AREAS