Why Do I Have Wasps in Winter?
The last thing you expect in the dead of winter is to witness wasps in or around your home. If they are seen, they are most likely paper wasps and are probably the future queens of a new colony. During the early fall, paper wasps begin to die off. Some of the females, however, remain alive in order to seek out new places to nest in a few month’s time. If you notice one of these wasps in your Las Vegas home during the winter season, it’s important to understand why it’s there and what you should do about it.
Paper Wasps in the Winter
After their male counterparts have died off, some surviving female paper wasps will begin to seek out a protected place to overwinter. Their winter survival guide includes some of the following behaviors:
- Because your home is a safe, warm escape from the dropping temperatures outdoors, female wasps often enter a house through small crevices near the roof lines.
- Once inside, they will often take up residence inside attics or in wall voids.
- When they have settled in, they will enter a state of diapause in order to suspend their development through the coldest months of winter.
- They likely won’t be active again until spring, but warmer winter weather can compel them to awaken early.
- When they do become active again, they’ll start to fly around looking for an escape route to start a new nest outside. This is when homeowners are most likely to see them inside the house.
Preventing Wasps in the Home
Thankfully, winter paper wasps inside homes are often sluggish and can easily be removed. However, populations are still known to occasionally grow in the winter, in which case you need to call a professional. Wasp stings can cause pain and irritation, so removing wasps from inside the home is of the utmost importance. The best way to avoid dealing with wasps inside your home is to implement preventative measures to keep them outside:
- Inspect your property to identify and seal any cracks or holes in your home’s building.
- Pay attention to any openings in porch ceilings and around roof eaves, attic rafters, windows, and door frames.
- Be vigilant about checking your attic and walls for signs of nests of all pests throughout the year.
Professional Wasp Services
If you notice a wasp inside your home during the colder months, it’s smart to call a professional who can check for signs of nests and populations. At Enviro Safe, we are dedicated to helping our customers stay pest-free during the winter and year-round!
Why Do I Have Wasps in Winter? IN LAS VEGAS - HENDERSON NEVADA
SERVING CUSTOMERS IN THE LAS VEGAS AND HENDERSON AREAS